Subscribers and readers often ask what certain data in our reports means and how we received it. We describe the specific techniques in each article, but there are some universal approaches that are used in most cases. We will disclose three of these in this article.
This is a media list that is often used to assess the distribution of certain messages only within the media that have high visits rates. We will reveal the secret: there are actually more than 100 media in the sample.
We fully describe it as TOP-100 Internet sites, all national Ukrainian press, Information Agencies and news releases on central Ukrainian TV channels and radio stations.
The list of online media is formed on the basis of public ratings (SimilarWeb, Bigmir and Ukrainian Internet Association reports), as well as a survey of experts of the Center for Content Analysis in order to include the most influential media.
Immediately, we note that the typology described in this section is based on the expert assessments of the specialists of the Center for Content Analysis. However, the experts are guided by certain selection criteria.
We define six main types of media:
- Politically dependent;
- Mass entertainment;
- Weak reputation media.
Politically dependent are also divided into several groups:
- Pro-Russian and close to pro-Russian politicians;
- Close to Igor Kolomoisky and the group "Privat";
- Close to other opposition political forces;
There is an hierarchy within the types scheme. It is clear that certain media can belong to several groups. For example, Ukraine's TV channel is both mass entertainment and controlled by Ukrainian oligarh Rinat Akhmetov, which is displayed in editorial policy and guidelines. And some regional media are at the same time affiliated with political forces.
However, among the two types, we choose the one that is listed above others.
Here is a list of criteria for assigning media to a specific type and short sets of examples of publications that belong to them.
- Niche. Media that focuse on special aspects of social reality: business, technology etc. Examples of media: Finance.ua, AIN.ua, Chytomo, Legal practice, Enkorr.
- Regional. Media that try to meet the needs of audience in a certain region of Ukraine. Typically, such outlines have local toponyms in the title, subtitle, or heading. Examples: Zaxid.net, High Roll, Dum, NickVest.
- "Quality". We that the quality is a contrоversial issue. Therefore, we focus on the target audience of these media - they should be targeted at educated people with critical thinking, power establishment, etc. - as well as at adherence to journalistic standards. Examples: Radio Liberty, Ukrainska Pravda, Interfax-Ukraine, LigaBusinessInform.
- Politically Dependent. This category includes publications: a) whose owners (known from open sources or expert opinions) belong to certain political parties, and this has a significant impact on their editorial policy; b) the owners of which are unknown or not belonging to certain political groups, but our experience of monitoring information campaigns shows that they consistently support some of them. In particular, it refers to pro-Russian and close to former members of pro-Russian parties - Inter, Ukraina, RIA Novosti Ukraine, Holos.ua; close to the "Privat" group - Unian, TSN, 1 + 1, 2 + 2; Channel 5, Censor, Espreso, Ukrinform; other opposition Channel 24, ZIK.
- Mass Entertainment. This is a media that rarely gets to our monitoring and focus on the news about celebrities, lifestyle etc.: STB, Pink, Hit FM, Nashe Radio, etc.
- Weak Reputation media. We take into account not only the presence of a negative reputation, but also the lack of reputation at all and cannot be assigned to any of the groups above. Of course, this group includes all media that are often exposed on distributing biased news or articles. There are also media that simply did not yet receive reputation capital, and may eventually fall into another category. Examples: Antikor, Gazeta.ua
Estimation of contacts (OTS, Impressions)
The indicator characterizes the number of contacts with an audience of content used in the analysis. We do not disclose the formula in detail, but it is based on:
- Metrics of visits for the digital media
- Circulations for the printed press
- Data on the number of TV viewers according to the available research on the TV panel for the TV
- Data on the average number of listeners available in open sources for the radio
Let's hope the explanations will help you better understand our research. But we are also always ready to answer all your questions.